Sunday, September 19, 2004

A special purpose

When people ask, "What is the purpose of life?" they should be asking, "what is my purpose?" It's not like mine. I have my own. Not to say I've discovered it yet, but I'm pretty sure it's unique. And it's something only I can accomplish. This purpose doesn't actually belong to me, it drives me, it is me. In the mere act of living I am unfolding my purposeful being into this plane of existence. You don't last long in this purposeful ocean of reference without a purpose. You'd sink like a stone. We try to define this purpose in terms of where it is taking us, and we don't really know that until we get there. You can tell the purpose so far by where you've been and where you are. You don't know where you're going. By the way, the purpose of life is not to be happy. If you have some moments of happiness, fine. Enjoy them. But they're a by-product of the process of discovering one's purpose for being here, which is everchanging.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

L'amour s'en va comme cette eau coulante