Monday, September 27, 2004

Dishevelled cognates

What does "we" mean? It implies we share the same consciousness, that we are one entity. Let us assume for a moment this is possible. We, whatever that is, has nothing to do with me and you. We is we, me is me, and you is you. I know the Beatles said "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together," but maybe it's time to question these cognates, which at this point are looking rather dishevelled; for in truth we inhabit different worlds. The "we" is a convenient syllable to reduce the difficulties of negotiating the vast regions of time and space between us. To realize one's uniqueness is not to commit some original sin or fundamental act of separation from God. Do we deride the snowflake for its moment of special glory in individuation? It takes a certain clarity and courage to recognize the crystalline seed that I carry inside myself, that is only mine: the vibrating presence that bears me to my destiny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sous le pont Mirabeau coule la Seine