Friday, June 18, 2004

It's everywhere

In Philip K. Dick's Ubik, God comes in a spray can labelled Ubik. And whatever gets sprayed, the seemingly irresistible forces of entropy and decay get countered. The idea is that there is an intelligence trying to break through into our universe and it will put itself into our way through the commonest devices. When I was a kid I wanted two cans of magic for Christmas. My parents ended up giving me a World Book Encyclopedia instead and in it my father wrote that the greatest magic lay in the hearts of men and women. He died 30 years ago but I know he was right. Every day I see more and more evidence of the greatest intelligence manifesting itself through the little acts of kindness coming spontaneously through the heart. We all have that spray can of Ubik. And boy, do we need it now.

No comments: